Last Updated on January 7, 2019 by Admin
Which name is assigned to the transport layer PDU?
Application data is passed down the protocol stack on its way to be transmitted across the network media. During the process, various protocols add information to it at each level. At each stage of the process, a PDU (protocol data unit) has a different name to reflect its new functions. The PDUs are named according to the protocols of the TCP/IP suite:
- Data – The general term for the PDU used at the application layer.
- Segment – transport layer PDU
- Packet – network layer PDU
- Frame – data link layer PDU
- Bits – A physical layer PDU used when physically transmitting data over the medium